Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Amish all around

Isn't it strange how you never notice something until it's something that has just come into your life?
Lately for me it's been all things Amish! Every where I seem to turn there's something Amish. Last week my BFF Paige and I took over Amish Country (read about our adventure here!). It was sooooo amazing. Since then I can't seem to get away from it. Yesterday I was scrolling through a bunch of funny ecards and came across this.


Then I discovered that just a few houses down from ours there are a bunch of Amish men working on a house in our neighborhood. To top it all off Paige called me yesterday to tell me that a new documentary series on the Amish was airing that night!

 Part of the cast of Amish: Out of Order

The series is called Amish: Out of Order and airs on Tuesdays at 10pm on the National Geographic channel. Featured on the show is Mose Gingerich a 31 year old ex-Amish who was featured years ago on the reality show Amish in the City. Anyone else beside Paige and I remember that? The premise was basically a big brother concept: lets see what happens when we put a bunch of Los Angeles kids with Amish kids in one house. Oh how we loved that show. Wish it were available on demand. I'd love to watch it all again. I just remember how at the end of the show Mose had carved each of the L.A. housemates a toy out of wood! So good- you just can't even write stuff like that! Anyhoo- back to Amish: Out of Order.

 (Mose Gingerich on the right)

The show follows the lives of a few young men and women who decided to leave the Amish and start anew in Columbia, Missouri a town that has become a refuge for ex-Amish. Some are fresh off the farm having left only a few months before and some have been out for years. Mose is the patriarch of the ex-Amish community in Columbia helping to mentor and guide kids as they make their way in a foreign world. The quality of the show, as far as filming, sound and editing is a bit weak but the content is great! Can't wait to see the rest of the episodes. I'm setting my DVR right now!

1 comment:

  1. I remember Moses and the others on AMISH IN THE CITY. I learned a lot about the Amish community and their beliefs from the show. Now I am watching National Geographic Channel and Moses in Amish Out of Order. He is still the same honorable Mose!

    ReplyDelete