Thursday, February 4, 2016

Star Wars light saber Valentine's cards


These Star Wars Light Saber Valentine's cards are so cute and super simple to do!


I had to come up with this idea fast since we had originally thought we were going to make Salt Dough Glitter Valentine's Hearts for Cam's whole preschool class. But when we realized that the boys in his class might not be that into getting a heart necklace, I came up with these after grabbing a pack of Star Wars cards at the grocery store. (Not that little boys can't like heart necklaces and little girls Star Wars but we just wanted to make sure everyone was happy. We love coming up with ideas and crafting anyway!)

These were the first batch of cards I came home with. They came with tiny glow sticks that are supposed to be mini light sabers.


I was disappointed to find out that all you did was fold the card in half, sandwiching the glow stick in the card and then put it in the envelope. It just wasn't what I was imagining. I had envisioned the glow stick light saber somehow attaching to the card, right on top of the light saber graphic in the picture. I don't know why I was expecting something spectacular since the whole thing was only $4 bucks but still.

So I went back to the store, looking for bigger Star Wars Valentine's cards that had the light saber predominantly featured on the front, middle of the card. I found these.


I took the mini glow sticks that I got in the first Star Wars card pack and using a black Sharpie marker and a silver Sharpie paint pen I drew a handle onto the bottom of each glow stick. I think it totally makes it more saber-like looking and is definitely more fun to look at and play with!




When the ink was dry I used glue dots to attach the light saber glow stick to the front of each card right on top of the light saber graphic.


I know you're thinking, why go through all the trouble? I get it. It's certainly is a lot of effort for a card that most of the kids will just look at for a few minutes, if we're lucky. But for me, it's not about being or having the best, fanciest card but simply that I like doing this kind of stuff and that it comes naturally to me. I don't have to go out of my way and it doesn't feel like work or a chore because I love doing it. It's fun and my kids love crafting and helping and playing with all the stuff I come up with.

Hope you have a great Valentine's Day! Happy crafting!





No comments:

Post a Comment